The following is my preferred method of configuring the Host Headers for a SharePoint site.
- Open IIS on the server that hosting the portal.
- Expand the first node.
- Expand “Websites”
- Right mouse click on the desired website
- Click “Properties” (IIS 6) or “Edit Bindings” (IIS 7)
- Click the “Advanced” button located in the “Web site identification” Panel (IIS 6)
- Click the “Add” button
- Leave “IP Address” as the default “(All Unassigned)”
- Enter the port that your portal is using in the “TCP Port” text Box. (Normally Port 80)
- Enter the value of your Host Header that is associated with your portal in DNS. I usually add the following host headers for a site.
- short/friendly url (ex: mysite)
- fully qualified url (ex: mysite.com)
- IP address (ex: 10.32.54.123)